With the growing electrical demands of modern cars and the heavy loads placed on today’s battery, you will need greater capacity in a battery for optimal performance. A top quality battery also means when you turn off your car, there is limited to no power drainage so you will have no problem starting the vehicle after. Experts determine the lifespan of most car batteries as 3-5 years depending on the nature of the travel surface and the weather. But with time, your battery is still bound to die even if you don’t use. That is why you should not wait until your car refuses to start before you get a new battery for your car, smaller problems in your car may be suggestive that you need a new battery.
But the number of batteries available for sale can be many, convincing and confusion. No wonder the battery you bought last has been giving you the worst of drives. Below is a compiled list of the ultimate heavy duty batteries that are made for superior performance in the most demanding conditions.
Top 7 Best Car Batteries in 2019
#7 Optima Batteries 8002-002 34 RedTop Starting Battery
This car battery suits nearly all makes and models of vehicles. The 12-volt power source has a decent 800 cranking amps and 100 minutes of reserve capacity. It’s built tough and durable with fifteen times more resistance to vibration. Apart from its consistency in withstanding the hard pounding that comes with driving in harsh terrains, this pick knows no weather.
It offers optimal starting even in bad weather. This is the battery for heavy start-and-stop uses like in driving commercial equipment like ambulances, and police cars, and other larger personal vehicles such as SUVs and trucks
#6 Odyssey 65-PC1750T Automotive and LTV Battery
The battery can be mounted at any angle, and in any position. With a cold crank amp (CCA) of 950, you are sure to cruise around all seasons without having to worry. This unit can produce up to 145 minutes of reserve capacity so your drive is fully secured and safe. This battery has been built to defy destructive forces created by mechanical vibrations. The company promises up to 10 years of dedicated service with this worthy buy.
4-6 hours is all you need to have your battery 100% charged. The tight construction prevents any spillages and subsequent damage caused by high impact shock extending battery life. The manufacturer recommends operating temperatures of between -40 – 113˚ F. It is designed for trucks, SUVs, and cars.
#5 ACDelco 78AGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 78 Battery
ACDelco has long been a favorite of automobile enthusiasts and gearheads who heavily accessorize their vehicles with high-end audio systems. To bring out their vast experience in making car batteries, the company used negative paste that is highly dense. This enhances performance and longevity of the 12 v battery. The electrolyte is an alloy of silver and calcium, paired to make it functional and long-lasting. The products score well with 720 CCA and 95-minute reserve capacity. To ensure that the battery remains cool no matter how hard you hit the road, acid circulation has been effectively improved.
Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology features a battery cap design that boosts this battery’s high ratings for its non-spill construction. The model uses a design that makes it resist vibrations and high impact shocks lending to durability. Additionally, certain deep-cycle batteries include built-in “Green Eye” hydrometer. Because its maker trusts the quality of their products, they offer 36 month free replacements in the case of a defect.
#4 Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery
Odyssey assures fairly decent built quality that it is vibration resistant and seems quite solid. If your car that requires more output due to an aftermarket audio then you have found the right battery. In their description, Odyssey also assures that their battery can power up to 400 cycles at 80% depth of discharge, this points to longer than life service. Recharging this battery takes just about 4 – 6 hours, reasonable duration considering how long others in its class take.
In most batteries, the plates are made of lead alloy but not in this one, pure virgin lead has been used specifically and the number of plates multiplied to enhance top-class performance and improve reserve capacity by almost 40 %. The list of features is endless, but all in all, it is a product you should go for.
#3 ACDelco 49AGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 49 Battery
Whether it’s for everyday vehicles, high-performance AWD, and off-road automobiles, this 12v battery will meet and surpass your expectations. The negative paste used is highly dense so that the performance is greater and the battery lasts longer. The positive grid, on the other hand, is made of mixed lead and calcium maximizing conduction while also reducing the resistance hence promoting the efficiency of the battery.
Again, it’s ideal for heavy-duty application and deep-cycle battery with the capacity to serve. What makes it even better is the ability to survive intense vibrations and it has a leak-free construction meaning long-lived service and no risk of acid spills thanks to the vent cap design. Do not miss out on this incredible offer, get yourself one today.
#2 Odyssey PC680 Battery
Odyssey is a well-known and trusted name in the manufacturer of heavy-duty auto parts, a favorite for off-roaders who operate power-hungry equipment. The 12-volt battery can provide ample power and a superior performance you can rely on with 170 CCA. Another feature that makes it one of the best buys is not just the flexible compatibility with most vehicles but also the short time it demands to recharge to 100%.
The excellent build quality and excellent sealing make it completely spill proof and vibration resistant. It will withstand the toughest of conditions and is capable in race cars. Being that it can fit in almost all vehicles, you should have absolutely zero doubts when making this purchase.
#1 Optima Batteries 8014-045 D34/78 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
Stylish as it is functional, this 12 v battery is simply the best there is out there. It boasts a staggering 750 CCA and 2 good hours of reserve capacity, the highest value among its peers. The polypropylene case ensures that the starting power is not compromised even in bad weather. The company also assures 15 times more resistance to vibration so it is built for constant performance on all road terrains.
The low self-discharging rate means you get to enjoy the most out of all seasons with your agile machine. Judging by its price very few would guess that the Optima yellow top Dual purpose battery is actually a professional grade product that it is. It is well worth the price.
Factors To Consider Before Buying A Car Battery:
- Performance: To understand how to rate the battery based on how well it delivers, let’s understand the following;
- Self-discharge rate – means that the battery can maintain charge in storage for longer periods without battery charger support
- Amp hours: This is the measure of the energy stored in the battery.
- Cold-cranking amps: This is the ability of the battery to turn over an engine in cold weather.
- Reserve capacity: This is the duration that the battery takes to operate vehicle systems without taking a charge from the engine.
- Ampere Hour (Ah): This refers to how much electricity the battery can store (capacity). A higher Ah means that the battery will maintain a load for a longer time and is unlikely to run out.
- Ensure you select an option that offers the performance you desire.
- Size: Car batteries are divided into group sizes which differ in the length, width, and height of the battery. Check the owner’s manual or consult your mechanic and compare with the right battery to ensure it fits perfectly in the battery tray secures the battery preventing damages due to the vibrations.
- Price: The models we’ve mention belong to about the same price range, however, some cost much more. Be sure that the price clause will not bite so much into your budget.
- Warranties: Considering how vulnerable they are to damages; consider a brand that offers a warranty. This ensures that you get compensated just in case the device fails to work properly.
- Voltage: If you add anything to your car that was not there when you purchased it, such as a more powerful sound system or car parking sensors, then you need to also take the power demand of these items into consideration when determining the battery you need.
- Type and design: The battery should be compatible with the construction of your car. Check that the positive terminal will not come into contact with the metallic body of the car after installation. This may increase the risk of shorting.
Wrapping It Up!
After comparing the best car batteries on the market, we found out that the above offer a combination of value and performance to meet their driving needs as well as their budget. We believe that each of the products is built for performance and built to outlast the life of the car, you only have to choose the one that fits you.
Paramatan is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and we get a commission on purchases made through our links.